Need a little snack when drinking matcha? How about having some matcha shortbread? You might be curious when you first hear this name. Actually, shortbread gets the “short” prefix because of the crumbly texture, which makes it a good combination with tea!
In this post, we'll show you how to make your matcha shortbread "short" and nice!
Ingredients: (For approximately 35 pieces)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsps matcha green tea powder
- 150g unsalted butter
(150g = 3 sticks ≈ 1 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar (Confectioner's sugar is not as sweet as normal sugar)
- pinch of salt
- Sift the flour, matcha powder and salt together in a medium size bowl to remove any clumps that may have formed.
- Put butter and sugar in a larger bowl.
- Use a hand mixer at low speed to blend butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to it, mix it at low speed until mixed and even. Use a dough spatula to scrape any mixture that may have stuck to the sides of the bowl. When it turns crumbly and light, stop mixing. As the longer the dough mixes, the more gluten develops, which will make the shortbread chewy and tough, instead of light and crumbly.
Dust your counter with a bit of flour and take the matcha dough out of the bowl.
Flatten it to about 0.5cm thick (if you use shape cookie cutter) or form the dough into 2 seperate 'logs' (you will slice the logs into disc shapes later).
Wrap it with cling wrap, rest it in the fridge to chill for 1-2hours. Make sure the dough is firm enough to cut through.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take the dough out and reshape it again a bit if necessary.
- If you flattened your dough earlier, use 'cookie cutters' to cut your dough into shapes. If you made dough 'logs' then slice them to 0.5cm thick discs (roughly 16-20 pieces per log).
- Place them to the prepared baking trays and put them in the oven.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the bottom edges start to brown. Be sure to check them every few minutes.
- Transfer them to a wire wrack to cool completely.
And now, you can ENJOY it with a nice bowl of matcha!
Premium Culinary Matcha Powder
VIEW IN OUR STORE
Remember to sign up to our Matcha Mail to receive 10% OFF your first order and we will keep you up to date with Matcha related information, recipes promotions and more.